Saturday, July 24, 2010

Today, just across the street from me, a man stabbed his girlfriend in the chest.

All I know is that the police finally caught up with the guy after he ran. I have no clue as to the girl’s condition, though, and I wish I did. 
I was working when it happened, and after the police and ambulances arrived, I had to go outside to get ice. I heard someone scream, in some kind of pain. At the time I didn’t know what had really happened, but now I realize it was probably that poor girl yelling. Never before have I wanted to help someone so badly, but there was absolutely nothing I could have done. I went back inside and hoped for the best.
The most disgusting part was how jaded everyone seemed to be by it. Customers would ask what had happened, and I would tell them. They would say “Wow” or something of the like, crack a joke such as “What is this, NYC?”, gather their things and leave. Even the kids, who for some reason were allowed to run around alone at 10pm, were strangely okay with the fact that there was an active crime scene across the street. A girl of about seven initially informed of what had happened. I commented on the police sirens and she calmly stated, “Oh yeah, someone got stabbed”, shrugged, and then left.
My drive to work for law enforcement has never been this strong. I never again want to be so near a tragedy like that and be completely helpless.
I have no idea how the girl is. I don’t know if she died at the scene, at the hospital, or if she’s still alive. 
All of this happened in a city I had previously felt safe in. I often work late and was never afraid to walk alone to my car. Hell, I sometimes took walks for a few blocks before I drove home. I think it’s safe to say that my attitude toward Johnstown has completely changed, even if only temporarily.


I don't know this girl. I don't know her name, what she looks like, who her family is. I'm not terribly religious. But I will pray for her. I will pray to whatever god she may happen to believe in, to the god that I believe in, and whatever else could have some impact on her. I don't know if it will do any good, but it's the only thing I can do. I hope for the best, for her and her family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not even sure what to say other than that this story makes me really sad. I hope your thoughts and well wishes reach her, I'll be sending mine.

    ReplyDelete